Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More Than Words.

Given that I can't really ride my bike at the moment, all the exercise I'm doing is going to the gym twice a week. That's about four hours all up. The last few weeks I've tried to go for a ride on the weekends, but it generally ends in tears, so I probably won't be trying again next time Saturday rolls around. This isn't as bad as it sounds - I'm happy to still be able to do something, and my work in the gym is going from strength to strength. However, going from twenty hours of training a week to four does have its drawbacks.

All of a sudden I have a lot of time for making plans. Despite sounding like a good thing, this is a very, very bad thing. I tend to make a lot of rad plans for excellent adventures and projects when I have a lot of spare time. It is one of life's great unfairnesses, however, that this spare time eventually comes to an end. Then I'm forced to once again juggle work, a relationship, training, and whatever new excellent project I've imagined in my time off. Which brings us back to where we were a couple of days ago.

It seems the toughest thing about this sickness is not the occasionally debilitating tiredness, but rather resisting the temptation to clutter this rehabilitation time (and future training time) with new projects. If I call you up in the next couple of months with propositions in mind, please tell me to go back to bed.

No comments: