Wednesday, August 1, 2012

All. So. Close. To Breaking.



Hey, today's Music Wednesday is all about local bands!



Fear Like Us are one of my long-time favourites, mostly due to the songwriting of former Novocastrian Jamie Hay (also formerly of Conation / A Death In The Family / A Bunch Of Other Bands). After a bunch of lineup changes they seem to have settled down, and are playing a heap of shows around the place.



At the other end of the musical spectrum is Useless Children, who are perhaps my favourite live band in all of Melbourne right now. Incredible to watch, sonically punishing, slightly intimidating, and yet incredibly nice people to boot. And yes, that is David Yow from the Jesus Lizard in that filmclip.



I just saw Harmony for the first time a month or so ago, so I'm late to the party on this one. Stupid me - I've always been a fan of The Nation Blue's slower, moodier stuff, and Harmony seem to be a vehicle for exactly that. This clip doesn't quite capture the claustrophobic intensity of the live show, but they don't seem to be playing much lately, so it'll have to do for the time being.





And here's my friend Leith's band, in all of their sludgy brilliance.

Finally, though, there's My Disco. Who have been around for ages, who are almost completely different with every record, who are always on point. Who the hell would bother going to see Shellac play with some shit band when they could see Todd Trainer standing on the side of the stage rocking out to this?



Thanks!

No comments: